Burma Academy is solely and independently responsible for its own privacy practices. No Member is responsible for Burma Academy's privacy practices.
Each Member is solely and independently responsible for its own privacy practices. No Member is responsible for another Member’s privacy practices. Also, Burma Academy is not responsible for any Member’s privacy practices.
- Information that Burma Academy collects from you(including Personal Information)
- Cookies and Tracking Technologies on the Burma Academy Site
- How your information is used
- How your information is shared
- How to manage your personal information
- Storage & Security
- Contact information
INFORMATION THAT BURMA ACADEMY COLLECTS FROM YOU (INCLUDING PERSONAL INFORMATION)
Burma Academy directly collects information when you:
sign up for a Burma Academy user account and create a Burma Academy user profile;
enroll and participate in online courses;
purchase a product or service (for example, Verified Certificates);
send email messages to Burma Academy (including messages to learner support);
participate in user surveys; and
participate in public forums, webinars, and other interactive experiences on the Burma Academy site.
Burma Academy also indirectly collects usage information about your visit to the Burma Academy Site, as explained in the section below-titled Cookies and Tracking technologies.
Burma Academy does not itself collect or store financial account numbers or identification issued by a governmental entity, employer, or other authority. Instead, if you choose to make a purchase on the Burma Academy Site, for example, a Verified Certificate, you will be directed to Burma Academy’s third-party payment processor and Burma Academy’s third-party ID verification service provider. If you do not wish to submit the required authentication or payment information, then you will not be able to obtain a certificate via the Burma Academy Site.
Burma Academy requires your Personal Information under limited circumstances when you:
- sign up for a Burma Academy user account (name, username, email address);
- purchase a Verified Certificate (so that Burma Academy’s third-party vendor can authenticate your identity) or other product or service (so that Burma Academy’s third-party vendor can process the payment);
- participate in remote proctoring or other course facilitation processes (so that Burma Academy’s third-party vendor can monitor and assess the integrity of your course activity); or
- earn a Verified Certificate (the certificate will have your name on it).
To the extent that Burma Academy associates the information that Burma Academy collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your account profile.
You may voluntarily choose to share additional Personal Information on the Burma Academy Site, for example:
in your Burma Academy account profile (and you may display a limited or full profile to other Burma Academy Site users);
in applying for financial assistance; or
when participating in a course, forum, webinar, or other interactive experience on the Burma Academy Site (noting that in some cases, this information is shared with a third party that provides tools or other assistance for the Burma Academy Site or a course).
Burma Academy encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing additional Personal Information on the Burma Academy Site. (If you later choose to delete your Burma Academy account, deletion of your personal information will be subject to the process and limits outlined below.)
Members do not receive your Personal Information unless and until you enroll in a course. If you enroll in a course, the Member that offers the course will receive Personal Information from your Burma Academy account profile plus the information that Burma Academy collects about your activity and performance in the course in which you enrolled.
Cookies And Tracking Technologies on the Burma Academy Site
- based on your cookie settings, Burma Academy tracks information indicating, among other things, which pages of the Burma Academy Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used;
- Burma Academy may log the IP address, operating system, and browser software (including mobile use and device type when you use Burma Academy mobile apps) you used when accessing the Burma Academy Site, and Burma Academy may be able to determine from an IP address your Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of your point of connectivity; and
- Burma Academy may track and collect information from emails that Burma Academy sends to you, for example, whether you opened the email or clicked on any links from the email.
Burma Academy also partners with third parties to help us track and understand your activity on the Burma Academy Site, how you interact with Burma Academy’s social media, and how you find or may be referred to the Burma Academy Site. Individual Members may separately use Tracking Technologies within their courses and email communications to understand your activity within a course and how you find or may be referred to a course on the Burma Academy Site.
- when necessary for system administration, security, and integrity to ensure the Burma Academy Site works properly for you. Without these technologies, the Burma Academy Site may not function correctly;
- to enable analytics, performance, and functionality, to help Burma Academy and Members gather information about how visitors use the Burma Academy Site and monitor Burma Academy Site performance, and to enhance your experience by recognizing and remembering whether you have visited the Burma Academy Site before and may have any personal preferences, and
- to support marketing by enabling Burma Academy and Members to deliver content relevant to your interests on the Burma Academy Site and third-party sites based on how you interact with Burma Academy or Member advertisements or content. Burma Academy and Members use “first-party” cookies, which means cookies served by Burma Academy or an individual Member, and also “third-party” cookies, which means cookies served by third parties that help Burma Academy and Members track this information.
You have some options for managing Cookies and other Tracking Technologies. These include:
- Modifying your browser settings: You should be able to control how and whether your web browser accepts Cookies by adjusting its privacy and security settings. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new Cookies, how to receive notifications of new Cookies, and how to disable existing Cookies. If you reject Burma Academy’s Cookies, many functions and conveniences of the Burma Academy Site may not work properly.
- Opting-out of certain third-party tracking and advertising: Some of the third parties used by Burma Academy or a Member for Cookies and Tracking Technologies offer the ability to opt out from their tracking by following processes described on their websites. Neither Burma Academy nor any Member is responsible for the effectiveness of any third-party opt-out options.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS USED
Burma Academy and Members use information, including Personal Information, to carry out the following purposes:
- Operate and improve the Burma Academy Site – This includes creating and improving features that support the Burma Academy community and enable Burma Academy usage at scale. This also includes personalizing the Burma Academy Site, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs.
- Create, administer, provide, and teach courses – This includes creating and improving the delivery of massive open online courses and programs on Burma Academy. This also includes personalizing courses, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs, assessing your performance, and awarding certificates.
- Offer and improve products and services – This includes enabling you to navigate the Burma Academy Site, enroll and participate in courses and programs on the Burma Academy Site, learn effectively in such courses and programs, and purchase or obtain products and services on the Burma Academy Site such as Verified Certificates.
- Develop and maintain the security and performance of the Burma Academy Site – This includes tracking Burma Academy Site outages and creating software solutions, detecting violations of the Honor Code and Terms of Service, and monitoring uses, misuses, and potential misuses of the Burma Academy Site.
- Communicate with you – This includes answering your course and platform questions, notifying you of course and Burma Academy Site maintenance and updates, marketing to you about course offerings, programs, news, and related products and services of Burma Academy or Burma Academy affiliates, and as permitted under applicable law, sending you communications about products or services of selected business partners that may be of interest to you.
- Support scientific research including, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education – This includes collaborating to enable and conduct research about how learners access and master course materials online, with the goal of improving course outcomes.
- Track Burma Academy Site usage against goals and mission – This includes performing analytics to evaluate access to and performance in courses and course-related products and services and to report aggregate usage information (not Personal Information) to business partners and external audiences.
Burma Academy or a Member may also seek your consent for additional uses of information, including Personal Information, and will use it only for the purpose described to you.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS SHARED
Burma Academy and Members share information, including Personal Information, with third parties for the following purposes:
With other learners in courses that you take and with other visitors to the Burma Academy Site, to create an interactive learning environment, support class participation, and share course information – This includes sharing comments, coursework, or other information or content that you submit to a portion of the Burma Academy designed for viewing by other class members or for public communication. This also includes providing opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals, for instance, recommending specific study partners or connecting potential student mentees and mentors. In such cases, Burma Academy and each Member that offers a course in which you enrolled may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but will only provide others with your username (for clarity, no disclosure of your real name or email address).
With employers, government programs, institutions, or other enterprises that sponsor your enrollment in a course for training or other educational purposes – If an entity pays for or otherwise sponsors your Verified Certificate or course participation, Burma Academy will share information with the entity as needed to confirm your enrollment, participation, progress, and completion status in that course.
Burma Academy or a Member may also seek your consent for additional disclosures of information, including Personal Information, and will share it only as described to you. In addition, Burma Academy or a Member may share with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and business partners, information and Personal Information that is de-identified or aggregated in a manner that does not personally identify you.
HOW TO MANAGE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can manage your Personal Information through learner features on the Burma Academy Site and requests to the Burma Academy learner support team. If your request involves information controlled by a Member, Burma Academy learner support will notify and coordinate with the appropriate Member to address your request.
Access and correct your Personal Information
Much of your Personal Information is available in your Burma Academy account. Your name, email address, and other identifiable profile information are editable through the profile settings in your Burma Academy account except as noted below. Your account dashboard lists all current and archived courses in which you have enrolled and includes links to any Verified Certificates you may have earned. The dashboard also contains copies of your answers and other participation and performance in courses. Please contact Burma Academy learner support to access and update this or other information. If your request involves information controlled by a Member, Burma Academy learner support will notify the appropriate Member of your request.
Usernames cannot ever be changed. This is a Burma Academy system restriction. Because usernames identify you in courses and elsewhere on the Burma Academy Site, Burma Academy encourages you to use discretion in choosing your username. If you want to protect your identity, do not use your real name or a name identifiable to you as your username.
Burma Academy does not track or index every time or every place on the Burma Academy Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so neither Burma Academy nor Members will be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. Burma Academy encourages you to use discretion before volunteering Personal Information on the Burma Academy Site.
Restrict or object to the processing of Personal Information
If you want to manage emails and other communications to you, you may update your preferences in your Burma Academy account dashboard, follow the steps described in the links at the bottom of email messages, or contact Burma Academy learner support. You may object to, or request that Burma Academy or a Member stop, its use of your Personal Information for other purposes by contacting the Burma Academy learner support team. If your request involves information controlled by a Member, Burma Academy learner support will notify the appropriate Member of your request. Please note that if you choose to restrict Burma Academy’s or a Member’s ability to process Personal Information, and the processing is otherwise required to provide you with various services and products offered on the Burma Academy Site, you may not be able to establish a Burma Academy user account or enroll for a course, and Burma Academy or a Member may not be able to provide you with those services or products.
Delete account and Personal Information
To request deletion of your Burma Academy account and Personal Information, you should click the button labeled “Delete my account” in your Burma Academy account settings. Because deletion on the Burma Academy system is a permanent action and cannot be reversed, Burma Academy may ask you to complete a process that aims to confirm your authority to manage the Burma Academy account affected by your request.
With respect to your Burma Academy account, Burma Academy will permanently:
- deactivate your Burma Academy account
- remove the active profile,
- retire your username, and
- remove you from Burma Academy email lists.
With respect to your Personal Information, Burma Academy will permanently delete your Burma Academy account profile Personal Information from the Burma Academy Site. As noted above, to the extent that Burma Academy associates the information that Burma Academy collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your Burma Academy account profile. By erasing the Personal Information in your Burma Academy account profile, the remaining information about your activity on the Burma Academy Site will no longer be associated with you, except as noted below.
These changes will be applied to data stores that are used for the operation of the Burma Academy Site including course administration by Members. If you enrolled in any courses on the Burma Academy Site, the Burma Academy learner support team will share your request with the Members that offered those courses.
Burma Academy will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with services; to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting, audit, and compliance purposes; and to comply with Burma Academy’s legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. If you enroll in a Member’s course, such Member will also retain your Personal Information for as long as needed to provide you with services; to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting, audit, and compliance purposes. Upon your request that Burma Academy deactivates your account and delete your information, Burma Academy will follow the process described above, including without limitation archiving your course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted under applicable law) to serve its mission to enable scientific research on cognitive science and education. These archives will be used to produce encrypted research data packages for Members, and each such Member may also keep and use course data for scientific research.
STORAGE & SECURITY
edX stores information, including Personal Information on its own servers and also on servers of companies that Burma Academy hires to provide services. Each Member also stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers and/or on servers of companies that the Member hires to provide services.
Burma Academy controls its own copy of information collected through the Burma Academy and has an information security program designed to protect the information in its possession or control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures. Burma Academy uses administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information that it collects, receives, stores, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; therefore, Burma Academy cannot guarantee its absolute security. While Burma Academy works hard to ensure the integrity and security of its network and systems, Burma Academy cannot guarantee that its security measures will prevent "hackers" or other unauthorized persons from illegally accessing or obtaining information.
If Burma Academy learns of a security breach involving its copy of your Personal Information, Burma Academy may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By using the Burka Academy Site or providing Personal Information to Burma Academy, you agree that Burma Academy can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Burma Academy Site. If a security systems breach occurs, Burma Academy may post a notice on the Burma Academy homepage (www.Burma.ac) or elsewhere on the Burma Academy Site and may send an email to you at the email address associated with your Burma Academy account. Depending on where you are located, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your Personal Information, in writing.
If a Member learns of a security breach involving that Member’s copy of your Personal Information, the Member may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By enrolling in a Member’s course on the Burma Academy Site or providing Personal Information to the Member, you agree that the Member can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your course enrollment and participation. If a security systems breach occurs, the affected Member may post a notice on the Burma Academy site and/or send an email to you at the email address associated with your enrollment in the Member’s course on the Burma Academy Site. Depending on where you are located, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your Personal Information, in writing.
If you have privacy concerns, have disclosed data you would prefer to keep private, or would like to access the Personal Information that Burma Academy maintains about you, please contact us at [email protected] If your request involves a Member, edX will notify the appropriate Member of your request.
Cookies are unique identifiers usually in the form of small data files placed on your device that send certain information about your activity on the Burma Academy Site or in an email communication back to Burma Academy or the authorized third party that served the cookie. Burma Academy or third parties may also use Flash cookies.
Burma Academy Site consists of all content and pages located within the Burma.ac web domain and all Burma Academy mobile applications.
Member is each educational institution or other leading global institution or entity that provides courses through the Burma Academy Site.
Personal Information is information that specifically identifies you or that, when combined with other information, could be used to identify you.
Tracking Technologies are web beacons, clear gifs, pixels, and similar technologies that are also unique identifiers used to track your online activity but are not stored on your device.
A verified Certificate is a virtual certificate that shows that you have successfully completed your Burma Academy course or program and verified your identity using your webcam and your acceptable form of photo ID.